Following on from its announcement that the 12th iteration of The Whisky Show would go online, due to the COVID pandemic, The Whisky Exchange has released further information about the events’ lineup.
Taking place 2nd – 9th October, the Virtual Whisky Show 2020 promises an incredible lineup of whisky legends participating in the largest-ever online whisky festival. Hosted via virtual events suite Hopin, the show will include an exhibitor floor where guests can meet ‘face-to-face’ with representatives from over 50 exhibitors, as well as a main demo-stage and break-out session rooms where over 100 masterclasses will bring whisky lovers and the ‘whisky-curious’ together to learn more about – and taste – some of the world’s finest whiskies. The show will be hosted by much-loved whisky expert and author, Dave Broom, alongside The Whisky Exchange‘s Ambassador Billy Abbott and Head Buyer for The Whisky Exchange, the effervescent Dawn Davies MW.
The Whisky Show is well-known as a home of whisky innovation, education and exclusive launches. Whether you’re a seasoned whisky lover or looking to explore whisky for the first time, Virtual Whisky Show will have sessions to suit every level, combining introductory sessions with deep-dives into the geeky side of the spirit. There will be over 80 Perfect Measure taste-along packs for the sessions, all available to purchase via thewhiskyexchange.com. The show will also welcome sugarcane fanatics once again, by featuring rum as the show’s guest spirit for the third year running.
With one month to go, the lineup is already a who’s who of the whisky world, including household names such as:
- Dr Kirsty McCallum – Head of Whisky Creation at Glen Moray
- Richard Patterson – Master Blender for Dalmore
- Georgie Bell – Ambassador for Scotch Malt Whisky Society
- Sukhinder Singh – Co-Founder of The Whisky Exchange
- Dr Bill Lumsden – Director of Distilling and Whisky Creation for Glenmorangie
- Ashok Chokalingam – Head of Distilling at Amrut
Sessions confirmed to-date include:
- Whisky 101 – a beginners guide to whisky with The Whisky Exchange Ambassador and long-time whisky lover and expert Billy Abbott
- Popcorn & Whisky pairing – a food pairing session with a twist, investigating the surprising and delightful flavour combinations that will awaken your palate
- Fortify me – ageing whisky in casks once used to hold fortified wine is gaining popularity in whisky making today. Author and whisky expert Dave Broom will join Dawn Davies MW, Head Buyer at The Whisky Exchange to investigate the influence these casks have on the final spirit.
- Smoke tales – uncover the world of peated and smoky whisky to find the perfect style for you
- What’s new pussycat – a dive into the world of Independent bottlers, as told by an old school bottler vs a new kid on the block
- Is whisky terroir a con? – an ongoing debate in the whisky (and spirits world); can a distilled liquid still express it’s terroir?
Tickets to Virtual Whisky Show are available here. Passes for the day, which include entry to the show, access to all virtual exhibitor stands, access to demos and seminars and a selection of masterclasses are £20.
Tasting packs for each masterclass will be sold separately, and will be available are here in conveniently broken down categories such as “Just for Fun” aimed at whisky fans who want to find new drams without looking too far behind the label, and “Get your Geek on” for those wanting more technical info. Prices will range from £25-£45. Some packs will only be available for purchase with a valid Virtual Whisky Show ticket.