Bartending, like any other skill, needs to be used and honed to prevent dullness or blunting. With bars shut for the duration of the COVID-19 lockdown – if not longer – Corte Vetusto mezcal has announced its The Cut Above Challenge to keep bartenders’ wits sharp and showcase their creativity.
If you haven’t yet come across our various eulogising of Corte Vetusto, here’s a quick intro.
David Shepherd started the independent brand of super-premium, mesquite-smoked mezcal in 2017 after a long love-affair with agave. Since then, it has become one of our favourite spirit brands and, more excitingly, the most highly awarded mezcal in the world.
Its name translates as “Ancient Cut” and is inspired by the mantra of Master Mezcalero, Juan Carlos Gonzalez Diaz, of creating a cut of mezcal so divine it invokes the spirit of previous generations.
The Cut Above Bartender Challenge
The Cut Above Challenge is an opportunity for Corte Vetusto to inspire creativity and keep spirits high in the current situation. Bartenders are invited to flex their bar-blades and create a Corte Vetusto mezcal cocktail inspired by the good times of when they could create delicious drinks freely in busy bars and to the highest standards.
“I have been fortunate to have had the support of some incredible bars since launching Corte Vetusto in the UK. I wanted a sincere way to help the industry out, so I’ve launched The Cut Above Challenge that is open to all bartenders and something that, I hope, will inspire some creativity over this challenging and anxious time.“
How to enter
- UK bartenders are tasked to create a cocktail with any of the three Corte Vetusto mezcals – Espadín, Tobalá and limited edition Ensamble II (read product info and our tasting notes here)
- Chosen Corte Vetusto mezcal must be the lead spirit in the drink (100ml minis posted on request for recipe development)
- No limitations on the number or type of ingredients (homemade syrups / shrubs / bitters are welcome)
- Drink submissions must include “Why it is a cut above”
- Entries to be DM’d on Instagram @VetustoMezcal or email firstname.lastname@example.org with full ingredients, method, serving suggestion, and Cut Above justification
- Deadline for entries is [UPDATED] midnight on Monday 11th May 2020
- 1st prize: £250 and the Corte Vetusto portfolio (3 bottles)!!!
- 2nd prize: £100 and 1 bottle of Corte Vetusto mezcal
- 3rd, 4th and 5th prizes: £50
- Entries will be judged by David Shepherd, Eduardo Gomez, director of Tequila & Mezcal Fest and Josh Linfitt from Propping Up the Bar (ex-Worship Street Whistling Shop)
Good luck to all! We look forward to seeing what you come up with.